Thursday, October 22, 2009

Never a Dull Moment

Ryan and I always "joke" at the beginning of a new year that this will be the year with NO major medical issues. And I always fully believe it when I say that! Every year since Lauren was born, one or both of us has had significant illnesses. I had two surgeries, Ryan had shingles, I had mono (the 3rd time), Ryan had pneumonia and I had mono (the 4th time). Maybe we shouldn't joke about it anymore...or we should knock on wood?

I have been feeling this lump on the right side of my abdomen for over a month now. But, I have been ignoring it because it wasn't causing me pain and because I didn't want to spend the money to have it looked at. As time has gone on, it has increased and is now quite uncomfortable. I finally broke down and told Ryan that I thought I needed to have it looked at. So, today I went in - they think it is possibly an abdominal hernia. But, they are going to do a CT-scan tomorrow to check for solid masses and rule the other options out. Assuming the CT-scan is negative, they will refer me to a surgeon to fix the hernia.

Another surgery! Needless to say, I am not thrilled about the prospect of this. But, thankfully, my mom is willing and able to fly out to help me during the recovery period and we are hoping I will be healed enough to enjoy our trip to St. Louis for Thanksgiving. You would think after 2 c-sections and 2 other abdominal surgeries that I would be used to it. But I am a terrible patient (Ryan will be ecstatic that I admitted this) and it is so hard for me to stay down and let other people do the things I would normally be doing.

So, please pray that if it is a hernia, they will be able to quickly get me in for the operation. And if it isn't a hernia, they will know what the next steps are that need to be taken.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad you stopped ignoring it! And I will pray that it is a hernia and that the surgery and recovery will be as quick and easy as possible! Ugh...so bummed for you!