Friday, September 25, 2009

Hunter's Education

I (Ryan) recently took a Hunter's Education course at Remington in order to get my hunting license. This fall, providing I can fit it in, I intend to go hunting for the first time. I haven't really talked to the kids about it, but Lauren was keen to the fact that I wasn't home before she went to bed one night last week and had overheard that I was in a hunting class. Here is the conversation that took place the next evening at dinner...

Lauren: "Daddy, did you learn how to hunt last night?"

Daddy: "Well, I didn't really learn to hunt. I just learned how to be safe when I do go hunting."

Lauren: "Because, Daddy, I was looking at the book you brought home and it had a deer on it. Are you going to be hunting deers?"

Daddy: "Now that I took the class I can hunt all sorts of things. But, yeah, I can hunt deer, too."

Lauren: "Daddy, I don't want you to hunt deers! I like them and they are cute. If you are going to go hunt I want you to hunt something else. Like foxes, or bears, because they can be mean - you can hunt those and that will be okay. And, if your boss says, 'Hey guys, let's go on a field trip and hunt some deers' you just tell him 'No way. I'm not hunting deers. I'm just going to hunt foxes and bears.' Okay, Daddy? You can just tell him that."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, what a sweetie! She is way too smart! Lauren and Grace have the same opinion: Don't kill the deer, Dad! :) Any updates on the house or moving or anything?